Key InitiativesAWHONN Key Initiatives demonstrate our commitment to promoting the health of women and newborns. Learn about AWHONN goals and priorities which inspire key initiatives.
Perinatal Staffing Initiative
Principle-based staffing is the context for AWHONN's staffing guidelines and there is a growing body of evidence that indicates higher nurse staffing is associated with:
- Lower hospital-related morbidity and mortality;
- Fewer failure to rescue events and other adverse patient events; and
- Shorter inpatient stays.
AWHONN offers a host of resources to support this initiative, including the publication of the AWHONN Guidelines for Professional Registered Nurse Staffing for Perinatal Units, informative recorded webinars, articles, a perinatal staffing data collaborative and more.
AWHONN utilizes advanced technology to offer online learning opportunities for nurses in various practice settings.
- AWHONN Online Learning Center: Assessments, pre/post tests available 24/7.
- Journals CNE: Online CNE available from JOGNN and Nursing for Women's Health.
- AWHONN Webinars: Hear from experts on today's hot clinical and professional topics.
Fetal Heart Monitoring Program
AWHONN is the established leader in fetal heart monitoring education for nurses. The fetal heart monitoring program is now used by nurses, physicians and other health care providers! With recent updates in the Intermediate and Advanced Courses, and the new online Introduction to Fetal Monitoring Course, AWHONN remains on the forefront.
AWHONN publishes two award-winning journals, included with membership. Each edition offers CNE opportunities.
- Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic, & Neonatal Nursing (JOGNN) is the leading journal for health care professionals committed to clinical scholarship that advances the health care of women and newborns.
- Nursing for Women's Health (formerly AWHONN Lifelines), a clinical practice journal, offers the most recent and compelling health care information on women's health, newborn care and professional nursing issues.
Public Health Campaigns & Media Coverage
AWHONN is a preferred source on a range of women?s health and professional nursing issues, including perinatal depression, the nursing shortage, and more; as well as a co-sponsor of multiple public health awareness campaigns.