What is the AWHONN Section Challenge?
The Challenge is a grassroots, Section–led fundraising effort to support the work of AWHONN through its Every Woman, Every Baby Fund. Section support is critical to AWHONN’s efforts to improve and promote the health of women and newborns and to strengthen the nursing profession.
Each year, AWHONN Sections fundraise and donate the proceeds to the Fund.
Since the launch of the Every Woman, Every Baby Fund in 2013, AWHONN Sections have raised funds to help improve care for late preterm infants, increase breastfeeding, champion spontaneous labor and encourage healthier habits for women at every stage of life. Donated funds have also supported Novice Researcher Grants and scholarships to attend the AWHONN Annual Convention.
Challenge Dates: January 1 – December 31
Previous Challenge Winners:
2015: Oregon and Montana
2014: California and Oregon
2013: Virginia and Oregon
Why participate in the Challenge?
You could win!
Your Section could win a complimentary registration to the AWHONN Annual Convention.
Two Ways to Win: Download Flyer
- The Section with the greatest participation rate based on a percentage of their total Section membership
- The Section raising the most in charitable donations
All participating sections will be recognized at the Annual Convention, on the AWHONN website and Facebook pages, and in selected AWHONN publications.
Here are a few fundraising ideas to help you get started:
- Participate in GivingTuesday and fundraise via Facebook
- Offer ribbons and other items with the Every Woman, Every Baby logo at your Section Conference for a donation.
- Contact local restaurants who may donate a percentage of event day sales to Every Woman, Every Baby.
- Host sporting events (5K walk/race, kickball, ultimate Frisbee, etc.)
- Host a special event (dinners, dances, silent auctions, holiday gift wrapping, etc.)
Here’s how AWHONN can help:
- Acknowledge every donation with a written thank you letter.
- Record each gift in the AWHONN database to track each Section’s fundraising total
- Pay all credit card transaction fees
- Provide donor recognition gifts
- Mail donor recognition gifts
- Register with local authorities for local fundraising events (state registration compliance)
- Provide progress reports, as requested
- Promote the events on the AWHONN website and Facebook page
- Create your Section’s own Facebook and grassroots fundraising pages
- Provide helpful tools:
What is AWHONN’s Federal Tax ID Number?
Is AWHONN a non-profit organization?
Yes – AWHONN is a 501 (c )(3) organization.
Are donations tax-deductible, and will I receive a receipt?
Yes – most donations to AWHONN are tax-deductible and the donor will be sent a receipt. In the cases where an individual mails a personal check comprised of funds raised through an activity or fundraiser, the individual will receive a thank you note in lieu of a tax-receipt as these donations are not eligible for tax-deductibility.
Can I organize a raffle or an auction to support the Challenge?
Regulations governing raffles and auctions differ from state to state. Please check with your State Attorney General’s office for your state regulations.
When is a good time to fundraise?
You can fundraise at any time of year but you may wish to plan your calendar around these special dates: Year- end (GivingTuesday through December 31st), Nurse’s Week, Mother’s Day, AWHONN Annual Convention, a special anniversary for your Section or AWHONN.
Challenge donations may be sent to AWHONN at any time throughout the year. It is not necessary to hold donations and send them all in December. AWHONN will track totals for each year and will give your Sections an update on your total raised at any time during the year.
Contact us at email@example.com or 202-261-2439 or 202-261-2437.
Click here to view Every Woman, Every Baby's Fundraising Policies