AWHONN maintains its position that only registered nurses, advanced practice nurses and physicians with professional expertise should initiate and evaluate the ongoing use of EFM technology. Furthermore, AWHONN strongly advises that all nurses who perform fetal assessment during the antepartum or intrapartum period complete a course of study that includes the physiologic interpretation of EFM data and its implications for labor support.
Physicians may attend
the Intermediate and Advanced Courses and may receive Continuing Medical Education credit for full participation. Continuing Medical Education Credit is managed by Professional Education Services Group and will be available via the AWHONN online CNE/CME system. Determination of physician eligibility for CME is at the discretion of the facility offering the course.
LPNs and LVNs may attend
the Intermediate and Advanced Courses for educational development purposes. Determination of eligibility and participation is at the discretion of the facility offering the course and may vary according to state practice regulations. LPNs and LVNs may receive contact hours and may elect to participate in the skills stations for the Intermediate Course as a learning experience.
Intermediate Course Requirements
This comprehensive 2-day instructor-led course is critical for enhancing and validating nurses and physicians' ability to interpret and respond to fetal heart monitoring tracings. Skills taught and knowledge assessed include:
- Maternal and fetal physiology
- Interpretation of fetal and uterine monitor tracings
- Evaluation of auscultated fetal heart sounds
- Leopold's Maneuvers
- Placement of fetal spiral electrodes and intrauterine pressure catheters
- Evaluation of and strategies for enhancing communication
The course is presented to approximately 15,000 clinicians a year and may be used as a competency assessment to validate the knowledge and skills of perinatal clinicians who utilize fetal monitoring and includes a posttest to assess learner knowledge.
Find a Course
Advanced Course Requirements
This 1-day instructor-led course is designed to prepare clinicians to care for patients with complex fetal heart monitoring tracings. Course components include:
- Complex case studies that include recommended interventions
- Communicating with colleagues
- Advanced principles of maternal-fetal physiology
- Optional online post-test is available
Find a Course
This 1-day instructor-trainer led course presents principles and application of adult learning theory for teaching the Intermediate Fetal Monitoring Course and is the first step for individuals who wish to become AWHONN FHM Program Instructors. The minimum requirements for participating in this course include:
Find a Course
- Current AWHONN membership.
- Successful completion of the current Intermediate Fetal Monitoring Course within 3 years previous to the Intermediate Instructor Course.
- Minimum of 2 years recent experience in fetal monitoring.
- Current clinical involvement in fetal monitoring as a staff nurse, physician, manager, clinical nurse specialist, or educator.
- Current responsibility for the evaluation of fetal monitoring clinical skills of others.
- Evidence of ongoing professional development in intrapartum, antepartum, high risk care and fetal monitoring.