Fetal heart monitoring education remains at the forefront of the clinical knowledge nurses and physicians need when caring for women and newborns. For more than 20 years, AWHONN has been the leader in providing this education through live courses, books, webinars and online learning. Today, more than 2,000 instructors teach the AWHONN Fetal Heart Monitoring (FHM) Program and hundreds of thousands of physicians and nurses have participated. The need for this critical information remains central to providing quality care, as noted in a recent report compiled by CRICO Strategies*:
- 65% of OB cases involve high-severity injuries, including maternal and infant deaths
- Inconsistencies in data interpretation, and miscommunication among obstetrical team members in the midst of such discrepancies, are at the root of most OB cases
- 43% of obstetrical malpractice claims originating from small hospitals involve issues related to staff training and education
- Harm to the mother or baby during an assisted delivery is commonly related to poor decisions or inadequate technical skill
Whether you require an introduction to fetal heart monitoring, have a need to reinforce your knowledge, or are ready for advanced content, AWHONN is the recognized leader in obstetrics education. AWHONN's in-person and online formats are convenient, evidence-based and provide the essential tools for educating the entire team. 97% of students who participated in AWHONN's Fetal Heart Monitoring Program stated it would improve their ability to care for patients. Regardless of where you are along your journey of fetal monitoring knowledge, you'll find a program to meet your needs.
- Introduction to Fetal Heart Monitoring Online Course - an interactive program designed to fit a convenient schedule for any learner.
- Fetal Heart Monitoring Principles and Practices Textbook - the foundation reference for all courses and components of the AWHONN FHM program.
- Live Intermediate Fetal Heart Monitoring Course - The popular in-person, two-day course is taught across the U.S. To find a location near you, search here.
- Fetal Heart Monitoring Case Assessment and Testing Program (Intermediate Level) - This online interactive simulation program is perfect for assessing or refreshing knowledge.
- Advanced Fetal Heart Monitoring Course - Search for an in-person, one-day course in your area.
- Fetal Heart Monitoring Case Assessment and Testing Program (Advanced Level) - Case studies and a robust simulation program highlight this interactive resource for assessing knowledge.
While the AWHONN FHM Intermediate Course includes excellent skills station experiences, the Fetal Heart Monitoring Communication DVD and Facilitators Guide provides guidance for establishing multi-disciplinary and collegial discussion about fetal monitoring. This short education film demonstrates strategies for improving multi-disciplinary communication at any facility.
Become an Instructor
Once you have met the criteria for participation, this one-day, in-person course will assist you in becoming an AWHONN Fetal Heart Monitoring Instructor for the intermediate course and identifies requirements for teaching the advanced course. Join the more than 2,000 professionals who have earned this prestigious designation and help other clinicians along their journey of fetal monitoring education.
*2010: Annual Benchmarking Report: Malpractice Risks in Obstetrics, CRICO Strategies
Association of Women's Health, Obstetric and Neonatal Nurses is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation. AWHONN is approved by The California Board of Registered Nursing, provider #CEP580.
AWHONN has been recognized as an ANCC Premier Program Provider for Innovation in Continuing Nursing Education.