Obstetric hemorrhage is a major contributor to maternal morbidity. All obstetric clinicians should be prepared to identify and appropriately respond to this potentially life-threatening complication of pregnancy.
This monograph provides essential knowledge and tools needed to promote more positive outcomes and provide safer patient care. The inherent need for collaboration is reinforced and clinical case excerpts are presented to support the application of concepts to practice. Strategies and ideas for preparation through simulation are also presented.
This monograph covers:
- Clinical estimation of blood loss
- Clinical management of hemorrhage
- Blood component therapy and its complications.
- Complications of massive hemorrhage
- Preparing for obstetric hemorrhage
- Collaborative management of massive postpartum hemorrhage
- Patient safety
You may download the document upon purchase and begin using it in your facility immediately. Included with the monograph are numerous practical examples and tools that can be easily reproduced for use in your facility, including:
- Collaborative guideline and procedure for placement of an intrauterine balloon tamponade catheter
- Creating an effective obstetric hemorrhage team
- Recommendations for additional resources for PPH managed in a general surgery OR
- Algorithm for management of postpartum hemorrhage
- Guide to online simulation scenarios for obstetric hemorrhage on the Internet
- Admission risk screening for postpartum hemorrhage and blood bank request*
Obstetric Hemorrhage is available as a downloadable document. Print copies are not available.