Each year, the World Alliance for Breastfeeding Action (WABA) acknowledges August 1 – 7 as World Breastfeeding Week. During this week, AWHONN and fellow organizations acknowledge and appreciate the work of all healthcare professionals and community community-based advocates who are so instrumental in ensuring that every woman who can breastfeed or provide breast milk for their babies is able to do so.
This year’s theme is “Support Breastfeeding for a Healthier Planet,” which will focus on the impact of infant feeding on the environment/climate change and the imperative to protect, promote and support breastfeeding for the health of the planet and its people.
Your hard work enables us to advocate and support breastfeeding as the optimal method of infant nutrition and to help overcome institutional, socioeconomic, and other barriers to breastfeeding success.
Follow us on social media throughout the week as AWHONN celebrates World Breastfeeding Week. Use the resources on this page to help educate you, your staff, and your patients on breastfeeding support.
AWHONN Products & Education
- Neonatal Orientation and Education Program, 4th Edition (NOEP)
- Perinatal Orientation and Education Program, 4th Edition (POEP)
- Breastfeeding Support Evidence-Based Clinical Practice Guideline, 3rd edition (2015)
- Assessment & Care of the Late Preterm Infant, 2nd Edition (2017)
- Breastfeeding Recommendations for Women Who Receive Medication-Assisted Treatment for Opioid Use Disorders: AWHONN Practice Brief Number 4
- Immediate and Sustained Skin-to-Skin Contact for Healthy Term Newborns after Birth: AWHONN Practice Brief Number 5
- Sudden Unexpected Postnatal Collapse in Health Term Newborns: AWHONN Practice Brief Number 8
- Compendium of Postpartum Care, 3rd Edition
- Postpartum Mood and Anxiety Disorders: Case Studies, Research, and Nursing Care
- Perinatal Nursing: 5th Edition
Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic, & Neonatal Nursing (JOGNN)
- Using the Coronavirus Pandemic as an Opportunity to Address the Use of Human Milk and Breastfeeding as Lifesaving Medical Intervention
- Initiative to Improve Exclusive Breastfeeding by Delaying the Newborn Bath
- Integrative Review of the Factors That Influence Fathers’ Involvement in the Breastfeeding of Their Infants
- Use of an Early Onset-Sepsis Calculator to Decrease Unnecessary NICU Admissions and Increase Exclusive Breastfeeding
- Breastfeeding Experiences of African American Women
- The Relationship Among Breastfeeding, Postpartum Depression, and Postpartum Weight in Mexican American Women
Nursing for Women’s Health (NWH)
- Quiet Time During Postpartum Hospitalization Can Improve Rest, Bonding, and Breastfeeding
- Attitudes, Perceptions, and Knowledge of Breastfeeding Among Professional Caregivers in a Community Hospital
- Ten-Year Systematic Review of Sexuality and Breastfeeding in Medicine, Psychology, and Gender Studies
- Women’s Choice Regarding Breastfeeding and Its Effect on Well-Being
- Clinician’s Guide to Supporting Women With Breast Milk Pumping
- A Breastfeeding Algorithm to Guide Bedside Health Care Practice for Term Newborns
- Exclusive Breastfeeding, 24-Hour Rooming-In, and the Importance of Women’s Informed Choices
- Breastfeeding Simulation With the Standardized Patient
- Delayed Newborn First Bath and Exclusive Breastfeeding Rates
Tell Us Your Story
Share with AWHONN on your social media platforms what you are doing in your community or state to promote and support breastfeeding among various populations and in gender-inclusive and gender-equitable settings. Make sure to tag us using #AWHONN.
AWHONN Resources for Nurses and Parents
As we celebrate this week and beyond, we encourage nurses and parents to utilize the resources below to support breastfeeding.